Haiku: Lasts

I bought 50 pairs of lasts.

They were a bargain.

But mini-storage isn’t…

50 lasts

Advertisements

Gavin’s Sandals

These are for a colleague who has absolutely beautiful feet. Like she could be a foot model! They should’ve been finished weeks ago, but I dawdled on the last step and only completed them last night. I brought them to the office today, and do you think she’s here to admire them…and for me to shoot a picture of her wearing them?! No, dammit.

P1000645popo

popo

UPDATE: Gavin has the most beautiful feet. Here she is, wearing the sandals.

gavin wearing the sandals

Start of New Shoe Class

Our teacher, Jessica Brommer, said that we can make anything we like in Shoe 2. So I’m gonna produce some boots roughly patterned on these Remonte Dorndorfs, which I’ve worn into the ground.

the bootWe’re at week 3 of class, and here’s what we’ve done so far.

We chose our lasts, altered them to make them wider where necessary, then draped them to make a pattern. Finally, we cut the pattern out of ugly leather to make this hideous fitter. It's just to check that the last will make a shoe that fits. I was pleased to discover that it's a perfect fit!

Each student chose his or her lasts, altered them to make them wider where necessary, then draped them to make a pattern. Finally, I cut my pattern out of ugly leather to make this hideous fitter. It’s just to check that the last will make a shoe that fits. I was pleased to discover that it’s close to perfect!

We then altered the original pattern taken off the last into a pattern for the boot.

I then altered the original pattern taken off the last into a pattern for the boot. My finished boot will zip closed rather than lace up, but this pattern shows lace holes because we will first make a fitter to check that the overall shape is correct (see the photo below). The fitter is down and dirty (as if you hadn’t noticed with the pink monstrosity above!) so we’re not going to bother to put in an inside zipper–hence the laces. Without them, I can’t get the last out of the fitter, nor get my foot inside it to check the fit.

Here's the start to my glam-rock boot fitters. Dang it, we ran out of time, so since I still need to cement them to a sole before I can try them on, I can't report back whether my pattern is good, or if it will need adjusting!

Here’s my almost-finished glam-rock boot fitters. Dang it, we ran out of time. I still need to cement them to a sole before I can try them on–agh, I hate having to wait for next class! I therefore can’t report back whether my pattern is good, or if it will need adjusting. Visually, I think this flares out too much at the top, and I think it’s too snug at the ankle. I want a look that’s more slouchy…granted, this leather is pretty thick and stiff.

Bells on Her Toes

1

I recently bought this bee-yootiful raspberry metallic. Because the films are laminated to a cowhide dyed dark gray, the color looks deep, like claret.

I went looking for pigskin to line it with and couldn't get over the perfect match I found!

I went looking for pigskin to line it with and couldn’t get over the perfect match I found! (Cowhide at left, pigskin to the right.)

You've seen this design before. The pieces are cut out and I've stitched on a strip that attaches a series of split rings to the area that will go down the length of the foot.

The front and the lining have been cemented together, a pattern drawn on, the edges stitched, and the pieces then cut out. On the right, you can see that I’ve sewn on a strip that attaches a series of split rings to the area that will go down the length of the foot. After I finish making the sandals, I’ll slide tiny bells into the rings.

The topsole, nailed to the last. I've done an initial setup to mark where I should punch holes for the straps.

The topsole, nailed to the last. I’ve done an initial setup to mark where I should punch holes for the straps.

The holes have been punched for the straps. I've applied cement. Next step is to push the straps into the cement to hold them in place.

The holes have been punched for the straps. I’ve applied cement and am waiting for it to cure. Next step is to push the ends of the straps into the cement to hold them in place.

Removed from the last so as to...

Removed from the last so as to…

...cement on the soles.

…hand stitch the straps to the topsoles (for reinforcement), and then cement on the soles.

Trimmed off the extra sole and cemented on a rubber heel.

Trimmed off the extra sole and cemented on a rubber heel.

And finally, I added on the bells. Whoa, between the red leather and the silver bells appearing blindingly white,, these look like some kind of Christmas sandals.

And finally, I added on the bells. Whoa, between the red leather and the silver bells appearing blindingly white,, these look like some kind of Christmas sandals.