In my last post, I showed photos of some mock-ups that were ideation exercises. I really liked one of the concepts and turned it into a real pair of sandals.I would LOVE feedback! Please comment.
Oh, and for those of you who have concerns that stuff might get caught in the extra-long strap and cause tripping, I’ve been wearing these around for a week and I haven’t busted my ass once, so that doesn’t seem to be an issue. In fact, I don’t even think about the fact that these are on my feet. They feel no different to wear than regular flip-flops.
This weekend, I gave myself the assignment to make quick mock-ups over lasts. The idea was to refrain from judgement and see if any ideas came of it. It was a timid start, but maybe in the future I’ll have the courage and imagination to get more wacky.
This does nothing for me.
Excuse me, my 1980s are showing.
Now this concept, I like!
The idea is that while some of the straps are functional and hug the foot, the others escape beyond the boundaries of the body. Ignore the holes in the sole; it was just some old piece of leather I saved for practicing with on occasions just like this.
Here’s roughly what that sandal would look like on. Next, I’m going to make a prototype! I think I’ll make the outer straps even longer to exaggerate their swoop. Stay tuned.
The other day, the back strap of these sandals got twisted up when I put them on.
And I discovered a tweak that makes an old pattern look new!
The original pattern is shown at top, cut out of leather. To tweak the pattern, I moved the bottom part of the strap underneath the upper part of the strap and stitched to hold it permanently, as shown at bottom.
Straps cemented but not yet stitched.
Uppers cemented to the soles; all that remains to do is sand the soles, buff them, and add a heel.
Frankly, I like the way this looks, especially around the toe area…some day, I’m going to make some sandals where the edges of the topsole and sole don’t meet flush!
Finished. The same, but different!